Saturday, May 9, 2009

Happy Mothers Day in Heaven

At first I wanted Mothers Day to just be another day. Then I realized there is so much to celebrate even though mom is gone. Life as a mother is wonderful!! I never thought I could live without my MOM but that is just what I have spent the last 2 ½ years doing. Not a day goes by that I don’t think about her. I am very grateful to have had such a wonderful person to call my MOM. Over those last few years of her life we were able to establish a wonderful friendship. For that I am very grateful. She was such a loving and caring person.

I guess we get used to life without a loved one; it is a long road and a road I hope not to have to travel again anytime soon. I can’t say that life gets easier but it gets better, that dark spot in your heart that hurt it does go away in a way. You learn to fill the space and hurt with happy memories and the knowledge that those loved ones are with a loving Heavenly Father. Life is not normal anymore you just learn to live with a new normal.

I think about my Mom often and wonder what she is doing. I know she is busy and looks down on us when she has the time. There is no doubt in my mind that she misses us just as much as we miss her. She does have an advantage because I know that she understands the plan and can see the full picture while we are still down here on earth trying to figure it all out. I know as a family we strive to live each day to be better so we can see our Mom again. I miss her terribly!! But when I look at this world today I am so glad she is in a safe place.

I am so grateful for the things that she taught me over the years. She taught me to be honest, to be trustworthy, forgiving, respectful, obedient, faithful, work hard in school, to do service, to be patient, work an honest day’s work, fill a church calling to its fullest, to love one another, to always be the bigger person, to be a good wife and mother, sometimes we have to turn the other cheek, respect not only for my elders but for myself, To be thrifty, to be modest, to be prayerful, just to name a few things. Some of these things were not always easy but I learned them and sometimes I learned the hard way. Mom always made sure we learned a lesson when we did something wrong. Not all of us chose the right path and I think mom took that personally but at the same time knew we had our free agency.

My goal on this Mothers Day is to be the kind of Mother my Mom was. She gave up so much so her kids could have. Just when she was in the possion to spend her hard earned money on none other than her, she was called back home. We still don’t understand why it had to happen of why it had to happen that way. We do know it was her time to go, so Heavenly Father called her home. I pray for comfort for those that were involved daily. I am grateful to my Heavenly Father that she was able to be on this earth long enough to get all but one of her kids married off. I feel like she made sure we were all going to be ok before she left, that is what mom always did. It is hard sometimes to believe she is gone. I miss our daily phone conversation. I called her daily for advice or to just chit chat I miss those phone calls a lot.

I hope with this post I have paid my Mom some justice. She was such a wonderful person whom I miss so much. I think about her often. Shortly after my mom passed away I discover I would write poems, I honestly feel like that is when I began to cope. I could write my feelings and thoughts down on paper. The following poem is one I wrote. I can still close my eyes and see my Mom’s Hands. I wrote a few but I will just post this one for now it is the most fitting.

Mom’s Hands

They are what I remember most
They showed her love the best

They could sew anything ya know
When asked “can you fix?” She never said no

They could quilt all day with no guilt
Each 6 of us have some to show. Moms Hands never quit

They could cook with no book
No lessons she took, but plenty she taught

They could clean. O could they clean
When she said clean, it had better gleam

They showed how smart she was
Only wrote as fast as she could think
Which was faster than a blink

They were smart with money
And money was tight

They worked both day and night
To make thinks just right

They practiced patience and patience she had
Cause 6 kids is what she had

They showed how much she cared
Only mean if kids dared

Her hands so small & distinct
I wonder what they think

Her mortal hands lay to rest
While her spiritual hands finish the test

Written by; Lori Smith

OK it's not award winning but it's my mom in a nut shell.

9 comments:

  1. Awwww Lori dang you!!! I'm sitting here in tears!! That is one of the nicest things that I have ever read!!! Your mom would sure be proud of you!! Reading this brings back memories of your mom and dad. When the accident happened my heart went out to you...I didn't know exactly what to say. But now 2 and half years later...I'm sorry. Your mom was such a neat person and was always really nice to me!! I do remember her getting mad at you though a few times. :) She always reminded me alot of my mom!! I'm sure that your mom is smiling down on you now!! You're a great person and friend. After all these years who would have thought that me and you would be in the same ward, and sitting by eachother in Sunday School!! It's because of people like you that make it worth going to church, (sometimes it's not that easy).... Maybe one of these days we can actually get our kids to go to sunbeams!!!!!
    luv ya!!
    (rain-deer) do you remember your dad calling me that, because I used to wear a sweatshirt with reigndeer on it?? ok maybe you don't but I do!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn Lori!!! You made me cry! What a wonderful tribute to your Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so nice Lori. I just know that your Mom is so proud of you and how you are living your life and raising your kids. I think that you are following in her example and that people can see her spirit through you and your actions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great poem lori. Your mom was awesome. I always loved her humor and smile. She was just a darn nice women!! I love that tribute to your mom. That was awesome. Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful post. It made me cry too. I think of your mom often, too. I am thankful your dad was with her that night. I'm also so very thankful for the Plan of Salvation. I know this has been a difficult couple of years, but you're doing it and you're stonger. I bet you never thought you could be so strong. Love you, Lori and I think about you often and am SO glad we can stay in touch. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome post! I loved your mom too. She was always nice and kind to me. And she was there for me through some of my most difficult times in life. She would call me once in awhile to see how I was doing and just to tell me that she loved and to offer her help in any way. I don't know if anyone knew about it, but it meant the world to me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lori I put off reading this for awhile cause I knew that it would make me cry and sure enough. Mom was and is a wonderful person who touched many lives and is still at it. I, like you hope that I can live and raise my family like she did.
    You are awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was an AWESOME post. I love that picture of Aunt Redda. She's beautiful and especially in red. I can still hear your moms laugh and it makes me happy. I'm glad that you posted this. Your a strong woman :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lori...I cannot begin to tell you how much I loved and appreciated your mom. She was involved in my Young Women's experience practically the whole time I was in there and she had such an influence on me. She was a GREAT lady and my sisters and I really loved her! Thank you for that post...

    ReplyDelete