You'll have to excuse me while I get on my soap box. Breast Cancer has always been something that I have always feared. I am always good to get my yearly physical I have the attitude if I were to get breast cancer the sooner they find it the better off I would be . I see people with the pink ribbon plastered all over everything they own and sometimes wonder do you even check for it themselves? Maybe someday when I get a little bolder I can ask people when the last time they were checked. You want to be passionate about it with all the clutter but are we passionate enough about it to be checked??On June 11th I was scheduled for my annual physical. Well the morning was crazy and the thought crossed my mind several times to cancel the appointment. I hate driving to Alamosa. For some reason I never called I knew I had to get it over with for another year. The news was not the best. They found a mass in my right breast. It was small but there it is 1/2 cm in diameter. Scared me to death. I have spent the last week an up side down basket case. I have spent a lot of time in tears and a lot of time on my knees. I have had several belssings. I look at my kids and cry, I didn't want them to have to go through this. I didn't want to go through this either, I really wanted to talk to my mom. You need a mom through times like this. I am thankful to have sisters and a sister in law I am very close to. My only comfort was I knew it had been found early. I had just had an exam 5 1/2 months ago at my 6 week check up after having Dakota and everything was good. I had had a untrasound that same day. Received a call later that evening that I needed to make an appoimtment with a surgen. That is about all the information I received which scared me even more. Called that day and they were able to get me in with the surgon on the 17th which ended up being cancled and rescheduled for the 18th. I went to see him today and from what he saw on the untrasound and from him exam all I had was a irritated milk duct. After I am done nursing Dakota he said he would be more than glad to check it out again for my own piece of mind which I am sure I will do. This last week has been so scary so many things run through your mind. So I really want to encourage everyone to Know Your Boobies and please please get your physical's. I do self exam's, (click here to download a card) I am not so sure that I would have found this one if was so small so it is important to get your physicals. I am so thankful that this ended up being nothing more than a milk duct. No needles had to be involved. It is so important to know your body. Like I said my comfort was knowing that is was found early. So please please take care of yourselves.







The best news ever!! I know I couldn't have seen you go through that. I'm very thankful for the gospel and prayer. I love you sis talk to you soon!!!
ReplyDeleteI almost died when I saw your blog title! That is absoulely hilarious! You also did a great job educating people on the importance of early detection and how important it is to know your body. I am so grateful that this turned out to be nothing more than it was. Hopefully it can be a wake-up call to those who have been avoiding thier yearly exams. They are so important!
ReplyDeleteWhewwww!!! I'm SO glad everything turned out ok. It's funny - I'm scared of cancer - of any kind. Yet when I have my yearly exams, I NEVER have my doc do a breast exam. I love my doc and trust him implictitly -but I don't know. I've never had one and I always opt not to. Guess I'll start now. Thanks for the post. It was a great one - and I'm so glad you had someone to talk to and to help you through this. :)
ReplyDeletei am so glad things are ok. That can be a scary week for sure. I am not very good at checking and I know I should be better because early detection is the way to survival but I guess knowing is scary. Thanks for the post Lori. Love yA
ReplyDeleteGlad you are okay! I know know how you felt in a way . . . I don't think I told you, but when I was expecting Shelby, I was reading in my week-by-week pregnancy book and it pointed out that your breasts could be lumpy as they were growing to produce milk for baby. Anyway, after I read that I got to checking and sure enough there was a lump there, a big one. Told my doctor about it and it was abnormal (not a milk duct) and potentially cancerous. Yes, I called my mom and we shed a few tears b/c my mom's mom had breast cancer, but over came it by having a mastectomy. Anyway, it was a pretty big lump that had grown quite quickly because of the pregnancy that we ended up having it removed asap and it turned out that it wasn't cancerous. It was amazing at how fragile life became though when you were looking at it through that circumstance. Scary! Again, so glad you are okay! Glad I am okay too =)
ReplyDelete