Monday, August 3, 2009
So Close but yet so far...
Most people won't care to read this... I just have to vent and for those that have been there I would love love advice. I really thought I could make it a full year this time nursing. I don't know if I can make it I am so discouraged!!! 4 more months and I can be done I am getting a little tired of it, but part of me is not. I really don't nurse that often maybe 5 times a day on a good day. (he eats baby food really well) I don't feel like I have much milk, it is there but I don't get over loaded like you do when you first start nursing. I don't know what is going on maybe I am not a healthy enough person to produce milk. What should I do?? I hate to put Dakota on a bottle for 4 months and then have to take it away. Maybe this is how nursing goes after they start baby food and eating like big people I don't know this is the longest I have ever gone (yea me!!) I am pretty proud of myself. It usually helps me get the weight off but I am starting to gain some and I hear that is normal for breast feeding mothers to gain weight later. I am very frustrated for all you experts please lend your advice it is more than welcome. Please help.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







I am not by any means a nursing expert, I never produced much milk so I wasn't able to nurse either of my babies (as bad as I wanted to) but here is my advice. I think it's awesome that you nursed him that long. It's also good that he eats baby food so well. I think you could start him on a sippy cup that way you won't have to wean him off of a bottle later. No matter what you decide to do remember that you are a great momma! By the way, I love Dakota's picture in his hat and boots! Sweet little baby looks like his momma.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Nancy. DON'T give him a bottle. I never gave Josey a bottle and it was so much easier. I am no expert either but when I nursed Hannah and she had a bottle, it was hard. I wish now that I would have just weaned her altogether.
ReplyDeleteThanks Ammy and Nancy. You both made me feel a lot better. I don't know what my deal is but my milk is dading fast so I need to do something. I agree I do NOT want him to have a bottle to I am hoping he will take a cup for me. He takes it with wather but has a little struggle I am sure with time he will be fine. I hate to have to buy formula but at least it is not for long. thank you both.
ReplyDeleteWeeeellll I will put my two cents in cause I a the nursing mother of all time, I still nurse Kade and he is 4. HA HA HA HA JUST KIDDING!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI sucked at it. I agree with Ammy and Nancy don't give him a bottle and it is totally awesome that you have gone this far, with what you have left to make a year I barely survived.
Ok - I couldn't nurse Austin vry long at all, but with my girls, I nursed them both a year. When they started on baby food, my mild decreased - but if I ever felt "low" I would drink lots (more than normal), or I would eat a couple of tablespoons of malt (like the ice cream topping - they even make it in chocolate - which isn't too bad) and or I'd drink at LEAST 32 oz of root beer - A&W works best. IT's something to do with the yeast or something. That usually got my milk level up - but I don't know what kind of quality it was - so make sure you eat well. But I also agree with everyone else, don't go to a bottle. Not only is formula expensive, but a bottle is too hard to ween. Go with a sippy cup. Also, when Emma was 10 or 11 months old she was in the hospital for about 5 hours. They gave her a bottle of whole milk. So from then on, I gave her whole milk in her sippy. I also did that with Avrie at about 10 1/2 months or so. Go with your gut. Nurse him as often as you feel, give him a sippy and start him on whole milk in about 2 months. I really don't think you need to supliment with formula. But that's my opinion - for what it's worth...
ReplyDeleteI guess I'll put my two cents in....I DON'T think you are a bad mom for weaning Dakota. I'll say your a bad mom when you refuse to nurse bacause you can't go without a beer for any longer that is how one of Curtis's friends wife is. You gave it your all and if you can't do it anymore that is OK....you have to take care of you too!!:-) Love ya sis!
ReplyDeleteI have absolutely no advice at all because I can't nurse but... I wanted to tell you that you are a good mother! A VERY GOOD MOTHER! Do not let anyone make you feel that way either. I got SO MUCH CRAP from people who didn't even know my reasons for not nursing... they just jumped to conclusions and tried to make me feel like a failure! You are amazing and I am jealous! Way to go!
ReplyDeleteOkay, I nursed the entire year with both my girls and I HATED IT! But I stuck with it for all the usual reasons: healthier, good for Mom, etc. I felt the same way you did at this point (not enough milk, just plain sick of it!). And even though I never got engourged, like in the beginning, the milk still seemed to come (from who knows where?). With Lexie I did start using a bottle b/c I was going to school too and it was easier than pumping when I felt "dry". And it wasn't hard to wean her from it at all. She was just as happy to use a sippy cup (the 'Nuby' ones with the soft latex lid to begin with). But I hear your pain, oh how I do! If I have another one I will most definately nurse and use a bottle it made my life so much easier!
ReplyDeleteAs far as the weight gain? I have no idea I've never heard about that before. I thought it was supposed to just help you lose, especially in the hips, I think nursing is the only way to lose that weight. And last but not least...do whatever works for you. You are the Mommy and you always know best.